Tuesday, February 26, 2013

AUTO RACING BLOG:11 DAYS


I am sitting here reflecting back of what I did for the last two weeks.  After my friend’s death in 2005, I always say to myself, “The best is yet to come.”  The last two weeks is a great example of what that phrase means.

It started with a text message from Bob Dillner on Monday, February 11 asking if I would be interested to come to work with Speed51.com at the 47th Annual World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing at New Smyrna Speedway.  Within a half hour of that text, I got the approval from Dennis Huth, my boss at ASA Racing. Then the flight was booked and plans were being made to take care of my cat and get me the airport on Wednesday.  

This is the second time I worked with many on the Speed51.com team.  I met most of them when I worked the Snowball Derby back in December. Bob & Angie Dillner, Elgin Traylor, and Matt Kentfield are the core of speed51.com and together they assembled a fun group of people who are passionate about short track racing and share the equal goal of providing positive and accurate coverage of a race event. 
Those others included: Adam Mackey, Matt Prieur, Tim Quiveryn, Ryan McCullough, Mark Keeler, Renee House-Thomas, Jamie Williams, Tonya Kronk, and Bruce Nuttleman.

Each of us brings a unique character to the team.  Over the days we spend together, there is a lot of laughter and fun among us.  We each enjoy doing what we are asked to do and we do it to the best of our abilities.

Along with working at New Smyrna, speed51.com also assisted with the online coverage of the Battle at the Beach for NASCAR.  It was a thrill to see Daytona International Speedway with my own eyes along with seeing many people in the industry who have become friends.  Nothing can cap off a day like having a one-on-one conversation with the great Ken Squier, the man who called so many great Daytona 500’s for CBS Sports.

Along with being at both tracks, speed51.com provided housing at a beach house on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean.  There is nothing like waking up in the morning and hear the peaceful of waves crashing on the beach. 

Being at both venues gives you an opportunity to meet some of the best rising talents and veteran drivers in the sport. 

One driver that I had an interest in meeting was Dylan Kwasniewski, the 2012 K&N Pro Series West Champion.  Dylan is a driver that has been on my radar since I started working for ASA Racing. At the age of 14, he was winning races in the ASA Truck Series and at the age of 17, he captured the K&N title. 

It was a pleasure to meet him, see him race in person, and now call him a friend.  He will be one to watch in years to come, or later this year.

Another young star to watch is Kyle Benjamin, who won four features in a row during the eight days of racing at New Smyrna Speedway.  He was always on the top of the charts and knew his way around the fast half-mile oval. 

My parents came over to visit for a day, and it was a great opportunity to visit with them and have them take in a night of racing at New Smyrna.  They witnessed Kyle Larson win his second ever asphalt USAC Midget race.  Who knew that night, of what would happen six days later as he would be part of one of the most talked about accidents in auto racing. 

The final highlight occurred when I arrived at the Daytona International Airport for my flight home.  I got a surprise visit from my friend Zack "Z-Man" Morgan. My little buddy, who I met in 2011, and have stayed in contact with ever since.  He made his way from the Daytona infield to the airport to say hi to me.  That was a great way to end my adventure.

I am grateful for Bob & Angie Dillner and the rest of the speed51.com crew for inviting me.  I am grateful for Dennis Huth at ASA Racing to allow me to have this experience. 

Like my dad told Bob Dillner, “It is rare when you can find something you love and be able to work within something you love.”  You are right dad…I am one lucky guy and so happy with whom I have associated myself in short track racing.

There are just two words to say to everyone…Thank You!


1 comment:

  1. Some even run short, weekend races, allowing you to get your feet wet before your main event. You are curious to know more about racing sport, click here.

    ReplyDelete